A Virtual Event
On the 31st anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act, ENGAGE presents: Ending Subminimum Wage for the Disability Community.
On Capitol Hill, it’s a rare moment when you come across a bill being spearheaded by both the Chairman of the Committee on Education and Labor and the Ranking Member of the Committee on Energy and Commerce that also has the support of the Biden Administration, dating all the way back to a 2020 campaign promise.
Please join us for a 40-minute, private briefing on the 80-year-old policy relic that allows employers to legally pay individuals with disabilities less than the federal minimum wage: Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Rather than admiring the problem, the conversation will focus on the commonsense, bipartisan solution: The Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act (H.R.2373), championed by Representatives Bobby Scott (D-VA) and Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA).
– Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers;
– Sara Hart Weir, Former CEO of the National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS);
– Laurel Rossi, Co-Founder of Creative Spirit, which is the first nonprofit dedicated to creating integrated, fair-wage employment for those with disabilities;
– Keely Cat-Wells, CEO of C-Talent, an entertainment company in Hollywood representing high profile deaf and disabled artists, athletes, and influencers;
– Todd Stone, Self-Advocate & Creative Spirit Alumni/Copywriter; and
– Rachel Pearson, Founder of Engage, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting women’s economic security through commonsense, bipartisan solutions.
Cover photo courtesy of Creative Spirit Campaign “Omnibus for the Pitch.”
A Virtual Event
©2022 Engage: Promoting Women’s Economic Security ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.